Rm. 303, Integrated Science Research Center No.2,Peking University
Dr. Fan Bai was born in 1981. He received BSc (Physics) from Peking University in 2003 and DPhil (Biophysics) from University of Oxford in 2008. After three years postdoctoral training at University of Oxford and Osaka University, he returned to China in 2011 and lead his own research team. Dr. Fan Bai is pioneering the application of single cell sequencing in biomedical research. Dr. Bai and co-workers published the world's first whole genome sequencing of individual circulating tumor cells collected from cancer patients' peripheral blood (PNAS,2013; Genome Research,2017; Clinical Cancer Research,2019) and received broad media coverage. Recently, Dr. Bai’s team investigated multiple tumor lesions in patients with Hepatocellular Carcinoma, revealing remarkable intra-tumor heterogeneity and the genetic feature of intra-liver metastases (Gastroenterology,2016; Cancer Cell,2019). By combining single-bacterium fluorescent imaging and sequencing, Dr. Bai’s team has revealed the mechanism underlying bacterial antibiotic persistence (Molecular Cell,2016; Molecular Cell,2019; received editorial comments from Nature).
1. Li R#, Du Y#, Chen Z#, Xu D#, Lin T#, Jin S, Wang G, Liu Z, Lu M, Chen X, Xu T*, Bai F*, Macroscopic somatic clonal expansion in morphologically normal human urothelium, Science 370 (2020), pp. 82-89.
2. Du Y#, Li R#, Chen Z#, Wang X, Xu T*, Bai F*, Mutagenic factors and complex clonal relationship of multifocal urothelial cell carcinoma, European Urology 71 (2017), pp. 841–843.
3. Jin S#, Li R#, Chen M#, Yu C#, Tang L#, …….., Mai H, Gewurz B, Zhao B, Young L, Zhong Q*, Bai F*, Zeng M*, Single-cell transcriptomic analysis defines the interplay between tumor cells, viral infection, and the microenvironment in nasopharyngeal carcinoma, Cell Research 30 (2020), pp. 950-965.
4. Zhang J#, Wang X#, Xing X#, Xu Z#, ……., Zhang Y, Zumla A, Maeurer M, Bai F*, Wang F*, Single-cell landscape of immunological responses in patients with COVID-19, Nature Immunology 21 (2020), pp. 1107-1118.
5. Huang B#, Chen Z#, Geng L#, Wang J#, Liang H#, ......, Gong S*, Bai F*, Yang M*, Zhang Y*, Mucosal profiling of pediatric-onset colitis and IBD reveals common pathogenics and therapeutic pathways, Cell 179 (2019), pp. 1160-1176.
The Bai Lab studies frontiers of biomedical research by combining cutting-edge single-molecule fluorescence imaging and single-cell sequencing, aiming at:
(1) study circulating tumor cells to gain deeper insights into the molecular mechanism of cancer metastasis and explore its clinical value for non-invasive cancer diagnosis, prognosis and therapy evaluation;
(2) study the genomic features of Chinese cancers;
(3) study bacterial motility, virulence, and mechanisms of antibiotic killing and bacterial drug resistance and tolerance.