Jie Qiao, Professor of Peking University Third Hospital, graduated from Beijing Medical University (Peking University Health Science Centre) in 1990, and obtained her PhD degree at Beijing Medical University in 1996. Early in 2002-2003, she has spent 1 year on her Postdoctoral training in Stanford University Medical Center, U.S. As a visiting fellow, she has finished her training in Queen Mary Hospital of the University of Hong Kong. In 2017, she was elected as a member of the Chinese Academy of Engineering in 2017.
Currently, Dr. Qiao serves as the chairman for National Clinical Research Center on Obstetrics and Gynecology Disease (reproductive health), director of Key Laboratory of Assisted Reproduction, Ministry of Education, and president of Peking University Third Hospital. She is a chief scientist of the Ministry of Science and Technology of China Grants (National 973 program), and a leading expert of the ‘Reproductive Cell Development’ program that was funded by Creative Research Groups Program of the National Natural Science Foundation. Moreover, she is the team leader of the expert committee for ‘Reproductive Health’ program under the National Thirteen Five-Year Research Program, chief editor for Journal of China Reproduction and contraception (Chinese), director of the National Clinical Research Center on Obstetrics and Gynecology (OBGN) Disease, president of China Women Doctors Association, chair for the Reproductive Medical Society of Chinese Medical Doctor Association.
Dr. Qiao has been working on reproductive biology and the pathology of infertility since 1990. Her team first constructed the high-resolution recombination positioning genetic map of women in the world and profiled the transcriptome and DNA methylome of human pre-implantation embryos and germ cell, providing new insights into the mechanism of epigenetic regulation during embryo development. After long-term investigation of genomics, proteomics and metabolomics analysis of polycystic ovary syndrome, she has established metabolic forecasting model and built up a diagnostic criteria of hirsutism applied for Chinese women. Her team developed a new non-invasive method to assess the endometrial receptivity, which significantly increased the pregnancy rate in patients with recurrent implantation failure. She has published 199 SCI papers as the first or corresponding author, including Cell, Nature, Science, JAMA, Lancet, etc.
She was supported by National Science Fund for the Distinguished Young Scholar and is Cheung Kong Scholar Chair Professor. She is the chief editor of 19 textbooks and monographs, and has been granted 6 patents. She won the National Scientific and Technological Progress Second Prize as the first investigator twice, University of Science and Technology Progress First Prize for three times, Prize for Scientific and Technological Progress of the Ho Leung Ho Lee Foundation Awards, etc.
Professor Qiao’s research interests focus on the molecular mechanism of human gametogenesis and embryo development, infertility causes and clinical treatments., assessing the safety of assisted reproductive technology and developing new pre-implantation diagnosis methods.
- Bian S, Hou Y, Zhou X, Li X, Yong J, Wang Y, Wang W, Yan J, Hu B, Guo H, Wang J, Gao S, Mao Y, Dong J, Zhu P, Xiu D, Yan L, Wen L, Qiao J*, Tang Fuchou*, Fu W*. Single-cell multiomics sequencing and analyses of human colorectal cancer. Science. 2018; 362: 1060-1063.
- Zhong S, Zhang S, Fan X, Wu Q, Yan L, Dong J, Zhang H, Li L, Sun L, Pan N, Xu X, Tang Fuchou*, Zhang J*, Qiao J*, Wang X*. A single-cell RNA-seq survey of the developmental landscape of the human prefrontal cortex. Nature. 2018; 555: 524-528.
- Wang M, Liu X, Chang G, Chen Y, An G, Yan L, Gao S, Xu Y, Cui Y, Dong J, Chen Y, Fan X, Hu Y, Song K, Zhu X, Gao Y, Yao Z, Bian S, Hou Y, Lu J, Wang R, Fan Y, Lian Y, Tang W, Wang Y, Liu J, Zhao L, Wang L, Liu Z, Yuan R, Shi Y, Hu B, Ren X, Tang F*, Zhao X*, Qiao J*. Single Cell RNA Sequencing Analysis Reveals Sequential Cell Fate Transition during Human Spermatogenesis. Cell Stem Cell. 2018; 23(4):599-614.e4.
- Gao S, Yan L, Wang R, Li J, Yong J, Zhou X, Wei Y, Wu X, Wang X, Fan X, Yan J, Zhi X, Gao Y, Guo H, Jin X, Wang W, Mao Y, Wang F, Wen L, Fu W, Ge H*, Qiao J*, Tang F*. Tracing the temporal-spatial transcriptome landscapes of the human fetal digestive tract using single-cell RNA-sequencing. Nat Cell Biol. 2018; 20:721-734.
- Zhu P, Guo H, Ren Y, Hou Y, Dong J, Li R, Lian Y, Fan X, Hu B, Gao Y, Wang X, Wei Y, Liu P, Yan J, Ren X, Yuan P, Yuan Y, Yan Z, Wen L, Yan L, Qiao J*, Tang F*.Single-cell DNA methylome sequencing of human preimplantation embryos. Nat Genet. 2018; 50(1):12-19.
- Wang H, Gao H, Chi H, Zeng L, Xiao W, Wang Y, Li R, Liu P, Wang C, Tian Q, Zhou Z, Yang J, Liu Y, Wei R, Mol BWJ, Hong T*, Qiao J*. Effect of Levothyroxine on Miscarriage Among Women With Normal Thyroid Function and Thyroid Autoimmunity Undergoing In Vitro Fertilization and Embryo Transfer. JAMA. 2017; 318(22):2190-2198.
- Li L, Dong J, Yan L, Yong J, Liu X, Hu Y, Fan X, Wu X, Guo H, Wang X, Zhu X, Li R, Yan J, Wei Y, Zhao Y, Wang W, Ren Y, Yuan P, Yan Z, Hu B, Guo F, Wen L, Tang F*, Qiao J*. Single-Cell RNA-Seq Analysis Maps Development of Human Germline Cells and Gonadal Niche Interactions. Cell Stem Cell. 2017; 20(6):858-873.e4.
- Qi X, Zhang B, Zhao Y, Li R, Chang HM, Pang Y*, Qiao J*. Hyperhomocysteinemia promotes insulin resistance and adipose tissue inflammation in PCOS mice through modulating M2 macrophage polarization via estrogen suppression. Endocrinology. 2017; 158(5):1181-1193.
- Guo H, Hu B, Yan L, Yong J, Wu Y, Gao Y, Guo F, Hou Y, Fan X, Dong J, Wang X, Zhu X, Yan J, Wei Y, Jin H, Zhang W, Wen L, Tang F,* Qiao J*. DNA methylation and chromatin accessibility profiling of mouse and human fetal germ cells. Cell Res. 2017; 27(2):165-183.
- Chang HM, Qiao J*, Leung PC*. Oocyte-somatic cell interactions in the human ovary-novel role of bone morphogenetic proteins and growth differentiation factors. Hum Reprod Update. 2016; 23(1):1-18.
- Ren Y, Zhi X, Zhu X, Huang J, Lian Y, Li R, Jin H, Zhang Y, Zhang W, Nie Y, Wei Y, Liu Z, Song D, Liu P, Qiao J*, Yan L*. Clinical applications of MARSALA for preimplantation genetic diagnosis of spinal muscular atrophy. J Genet Genomics. 2016;43(9):541-7.
- Dang Y, Yan L, Hu B, Fan X, Ren Y, Li R, Lian Y, Yan J, Li Q, Zhang Y, Li M, Ren X, Huang J, Wu Y, Liu P, Wen L, Zhang C, Huang Y*, Tang F*, Qiao J*. Tracing the expression of circular RNAs in human pre-implantation embryos. Genome Biol. 2016;17(1):130.
- Wang TR, Yan J, Lu CL, Xia X, Yin TL, Zhi X, Zhu XH, Ding T, Hu WH, Guo HY, Li R, Yan LY*, Qiao J*. Human single follicle growth in vitro from cryopreserved ovarian tissue after slow freezing or vitrification. Hum Reprod. 2016; 31(4):763-73.
- Yan L, Huang L, Xu L, Huang J, Ma F, Zhu X, Tang Y, Liu M, Lian Y, Liu P, Li R, Lu S, Tang F*, Qiao J*, Xie XS*. Live births after simultaneous avoidance of monogenic diseases and chromosome abnormality by next-generation sequencing with linkage analyses. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2015; 112(52):15964-9.
- Guo F, Yan L, Guo H, Li L, Hu B, Zhao Y, Yong J, Hu Y, Wang X, Wei Y, Wang W, Li R, Yan J, Zhi X, Zhang Y, Jin H, Zhang W, Hou Y, Zhu P, Li J, Zhang L, Liu S, Ren Y, Zhu X, Wen L, Gao YQ, Tang F*, Qiao J*. The Transcriptome and DNA Methylome Landscapes of Human Primordial Germ Cells. Cell. 2015; 161(6):1437-52.
- Zhao Y, Zhang C, Huang Y, Yu Y, Li R, Li M, Liu N, Liu P, Qiao J*. Up-regulated expression of WNT5a increases inflammation and oxidative stress via PI3K/AKT/NF-κB signaling in the granulosa cells of PCOS patients. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2015; 100(1):201-11.
- Qiao J*, Li R. Fertility preservation: challenges and opportunities. Lancet. 2014; 384(9950):1246-7.
- Guo H, Zhu P, Yan L, Li R, Hu B, Lian Y, Yan J, Ren X, Lin S, Li J, Jin X, Shi X, Liu P, Wang X, Wang W, Wei Y, Li X, Guo F, Wu X, Fan X, Yong J, Wen L, Xie SX, Tang F*, Qiao J*. The DNA methylation landscape of human early embryos. Nature. 2014; 511(7511):606-10.
- Wang TR, Yan LY, Yan J, Lu CL, Xia X, Yin TL, Zhu XH, Gao JM, Ding T, Hu WH, Guo HY, Li R, Qiao J*. Basic fibroblast growth factor promotes the development of human ovarian early follicles during growth in vitro. Hum Reprod. 2014; 29(3):568-76.
- Hou Y, Fan W, Yan L, Li R, Lian Y, Huang J, Li J, Xu L, Tang F*, Xie XS*, Qiao J*. Genome analyses of single human oocytes. Cell. 2013; 155(7):1492-506.