Fuchou Tang， Associate Director
Rm. 309, Integrated Science Research Center, Peking University, Beijing 100871, China
Dr. Fuchou Tang joined BIOPIC of Peking University as a group leader in 2010. His lab focuses on studying gene regulation network in human early embryos and germline cells. His lab also systematically developed single cell functional genomics sequencing technologies. They found the critical features of the two waves of global epigenomic reprogramming in human early embryos as well as germline cells. These works have been published in Cell (2013; 2015), Nature (2014; 2016; 2018), Science (2015; 2018), Cell Stem Cell (2014; 2017a; 2017b; 2017c; 2018), Nature Genetics (2018), Nature Cell Biology (2018a; 2018b), Genome Research (2013), etc.
His lab has pioneered the single cell functional genomics sequencing field. His lab has also systematically dissected the epigenetic regulation of gene expression network in human early embryos as well as germline cells. He has published over 50 papers as (co-)corresponding authors in Cell, Nature, Science, Cell Stem Cell, Nature Genetics, Genome Research, Cell Research, PNAS, Genome Biology, etc. These works have been cited for more than 8,000 times by colleagues.
Stem cells have self-renewal ability and multi-lineage differentiation potential and are crucial for mammalian embryonic development and adult life. Dissecting the molecular mechanisms of stem cell regulation is important for understanding mammalian growth and development, and for its application of regeneration medicine for cure of human diseases. His lab focuses on the genetic and epigenetic regulation of human germline cell development as well as pluripotency and self-renewal ability of human embryonic stem cells (hESCs). Through these, they want to understand how the genetic and epigenetic factors regulate the gene expression network during human early embryonic development and germline development. His lab systematically developed single cell functional genomic sequencing technologies (single cell RNA-Seq technique, single cell DNA methylome sequencing technique, single cell chromatin accessibility sequencing technique, single cell multiple omics sequencing technique, etc.) and used them to decipher the molecular mechanisms of the gene regulation network in human early embryos and germline cells at single-cell and single-base resolution.
Part of his work has been awarded 'Top 10 Scientific and Technological Progresses of China in the year of 2014', 'Top 10 Scientific and Technological Progresses of China in the year of 2015'.
Prof. Tang is on the editorial boards of Science Bulletin in 2014~2017, Genome Biology since 2015, Open Biology since 2016. He was also invited to give formal presentations at AGBT (Advances in Genome Biology & Technology), ISSCR (International Society for Stem Cell Research), ICHG (International Congress of Human Genetics), Gordon Conference, AACR (American Association for Cancer Research), HCA (Human Cell Atlas). He organized the Cold Spring Harbor Asia conference of Frontiers in Single Cell Genomics in 2016 and 2018.
- Bian S, Hou Y, Zhou X, Li X, Yong J, Wang Y, Wang W, Yan J, Hu B, Guo H, Wang J, Gao S, Mao Y, Dong J, Zhu P, Xiu D, Yan L, Wen L, Qiao J*, Tang Fuchou*, Fu W*. Single-cell multiomics sequencing and analyses of human colorectal cancer. Science, 362: 1060-1063 (2018) (*: Co-corresponding authors).
- Zhong S, Zhang S, Fan X, Wu Q, Yan L, Dong J, Zhang H, Li L, Sun L, Pan N, Xu X, Tang Fuchou*, Zhang J*, Qiao J*, Wang X*. A single-cell RNA-seq survey of the developmental landscape of the human prefrontal cortex. Nature, 555: 524-528 (2018) (*: Co-corresponding authors).
- Zhu P, Guo H, Ren Y, Hou Y, Dong J, Li R, Lian Y, Fan X, Hu B, Gao Y, Wang X, Wei Y, Liu P, Yan J, Ren X, Yuan P, Yuan Y, Yan Z, Wen L, Yan L*, Qiao J*, Tang Fuchou*.Single-cell DNA Methylome Sequencing of Human 1 Preimplantation Embryos. Nature Genetics, 50: 12-19 (2018) (*: Co-corresponding authors).
- Li L, Guo F, Gao Y, Ren Y, Yuan P, Yan L, Li R, Liang Y, Li J, Hu B, Gao J, Wen L, Tang Fuchou*, Qiao J*. Single-cell multi-omics sequencing of human early embryos. Nature Cell Biology, 20: 847-858 (2018) (*: Co-corresponding authors).
- Gao S, Yan L, Wang R, Li J, Yong J, Zhou X, Wei Y, Wu X, Wang X, Fan X, Yan J, Zhi X, Gao Y, Guo H, Jin X, Wang W, Mao Y, Wang F, Wen L, Fu W, Ge H*, Qiao J*, Tang Fuchou*. Tracing the temporal-spatial transcriptome landscapes of the human fetal digestive tract using single-cell RNA-sequencing. Nature Cell Biology, 20: 721-734 (2018) (*: Co-corresponding authors).
- Wang M, Liu X, Chang G, Chen Y, An G, Yan L, Gao S, Xu Y, Cui Y, Dong J, Chen Y, Fan X, Hu Y, Song K, Zhu X, Gao Y, Yao Z, Bian S, Hou Y, Lu J, Wang R, Fan Y, Lian Y, Tang W, Wang Y, Liu J, Zhao L, Wang L, Liu Z, Yuan R, Shi Y, Hu B, Ren X, Tang Fuchou*, Zhao XY*, Qiao J*. Single-cell RNA sequencing analysis reveals sequential cell fate transition during human spermatogenesis. Cell Stem Cell, 23: 599-614 (2018) (*: Co-corresponding authors).
- Li L, Dong J, Yan L, Yong J, Liu X, Hu Y, Fan X, Wu X, Guo H, Wang X, Zhu X, Li R, Yan J, Wei Y, Zhao Y, Wang W, Ren Y, Yuan P, Yan Z, Hu B, Guo F, Wen L, Tang Fuchou*, Qiao J*. Single-Cell RNA-Seq Analysis Maps Development of Human Germline Cells and Gonadal Niche Interactions. Cell Stem Cell, 20:858-873(2017) (*: Co-corresponding authors).
- Zhou F, Li X, Wang W, Zhu P, Zhou J, He W, Ding M, Xiong F, Zheng X, Li Z, Ni Y, Mu X, Wen L, Cheng T, Lan Y, Yuan W*, TangFuchou*, Liu B*. Tracing haematopoietic stem cell formation at single-cell resolution. Nature, 533:487-492 (2016) (*: Co-corresponding authors).
- Wen L*, Tang Fuchou*. Single-cell sequencing in stem cell biology. Genome Biology 17:71 (2016)(*: Co-corresponding authors)(Review).
- Guo F, Yan L, Guo H, Li L, Hu B, Zhao Y, Yong J, Hu Y, Wang X, Wei Y, Wang W, Li R, Yan J, Zhi X, Zhang Y, Jin H, Zhang W, Hou Y, Zhu P, Li J, Zhang L, Liu S, Ren Y, Zhu X, Wen L, Gao Y, Tang Fuchou*,Qiao J*. The Transcriptome and DNA Methylome Landscapes of Human Primordial Germ Cells. Cell 161: 1437-1452 (2015) (*: Co-corresponding authors).
- Zhang W, Li J, Suzuki K, Qu J, Wang P, Zhou J, Liu X, Ren R, Xu X, Ocampo A, Yuan T, Yang J, Li Y, Shi L, Guan D, Pan H, Suan S, Ding Z, Li M, Yi F, Bai R, Wang Y, Chen C, Yang F, Li X, Wang Z, Aizawa E, Goebl A, Soligalla RE, Reddy P, Esteban CR, Tang Fuchou*, Liu G* and Izpisua Belmonte JC*. A Human Stem Cell Model of Werner Syndrome Uncovers Heterochromatin Degeneration as an Aging Driver. Science 348: 1160-1163 (2015) (*: Co-corresponding authors).
- Guo H, Zhu P, Yan L, Li R, Hu B, Lian Y, Yan J, Ren X, Lin S, Li J, Jin X, Shi X, Liu P, Wang X, Wang W, Wei Y, Li X, Guo F, Wu X, Fan X, Yong J, Wen L, Xie SX, Tang Fuchou*, Qiao J*.The DNA methylation landscape of human early embryos. Nature 511:606-610 (2014) (*: Co-corresponding authors).
- Hou Y, Fan W, Yan L, Li R, Lian Y, Huang J, Li J, Xu L, Tang Fuchou*, Xie XS*, Qiao J*. Genome Analyses of Single Human Oocytes. Cell 155:14921506 (2013) (*: Co-corresponding authors).
- Yan L, Yang M, Guo H, Yang L, Wu J, Li R, Liu P, Lian Y, Zheng X, Yan J, Huang J, Li M, Wu X, Wen L, Lao K, Li R*, Qiao J*, Tang Fuchou*.Singlecell RNA-Seq profiling of human preimplantation embryos and embryonic stem cells. Nature Structural & Molecular Biology 20:1131-1139 (2013) (*: Co-corresponding authors).
- Guo H, Zhu P, Wu X, Li X, Wen L, Tang Fuchou*. Single-cell methylome landscapes of mouse embryonic stem cells and early embryos analyzed using reduced representation bisulfite sequencing. Genome Research 23: 2126-2135 (2013) (*: Corresponding author).