Rm. 105, Integrated Science Research Center No.2,Peking University
Professor Xiaoliang Sunney Xie is an internationally renowned scientist of biophysical chemistry. Prof. Xie received his BSc in chemistry from Peking University in 1984, and his PhD in physical chemistry in 1990 from UC San Diego. After a career at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, he became the first tenured professor at Harvard University among Chinese Scholars who went to the US since the Reform in China. As a pioneer of single molecule biophysical chemistry, coherent Raman scattering microscopy, and single cell genomics, he made major contributions to the emergence of these fields. Furthermore, Xie has made significant advances on medical applications of label-free optical imaging and single cell genomics. In particular, his inventions have been used in in vitro fertilization and have benefited hundreds of couples in China in avoiding the transmission of their monogenic diseases to their newborns. In addition, Prof. Xie has trained more than 100 graduate students and postdocs, many of whom have become professors at major universities around the world. Since 2010, he has been the Director of Biodynamic Optical Imaging Center (now renamed Biomedical Pioneering Innovation Center, BIOPIC) at Peking University, and in 2016 he became the Director of Beijing Advanced Innovation Center for Genomics (ICG). Starting July of 2018, he became the Lee Shau-kee Professor of Peking University, and Starting November of 2019, he became the Dean of Sciences at Peking University.
Prof. Xie has received many honors including the Albany Prize in Medicine and Biomedical Research, the American Chemical Society's Peter Debye Award and the Biophysical Society Founders' Award.
Prof. Xie’s current research interests include:
(1) Development of single-cell sequencing technology: single-cell genome sequencing, transcriptome sequencing, methylation sequencing, chromatin three-dimensional result analysis, chromatin openness detection and single-cell multiomics.
(2) Application of single cell sequencing technology in gene expression regulation: mechanism of gene expression regulated by transcription factors, the dynamic changes of epigenetic modifications during early embryonic development, how epigenetic coordination affects the construction of gene regulation network, etc.
(3) Application of single cell sequencing technology in medical Transformation: early cancer screening and diagnosis, preimplantation genetic screening and diagnosis in in vitro fertilization, high-throughput antibody drug screening, etc.
1. Cao, Yunlong; Wang, Jing; Jian, Fanchong; Xiao, Tianhe; Song, Weiliang; Yasimayi, Ayijiang; Huang, Weijin; Li, Qianqian; Wang, Peng; An, Ran; Wang, Jing; Wang, Yao; Niu, Xiao; Yang, Sijie; Liang, Hui; Sun, Haiyan; Li, Tao; Yu, Yuanling; Cui, Qianqian; Liu, Shuo; Yang, Xiaodong; Du, Shuo; Zhang, Zhiying; Hao, Xiaohua; Shao, Fei; Jin, Ronghua; Wang, Xiangxi; Xiao, Junyu; Wang, Youchun; Xie, Xiaoliang Sunney "Omicron escapes the majority of existing SARS-CoV-2 neutralizing antibodies," Nature 602, 657-663 (2021).
2. Du, Shuo; Liu, Pulan; Zhang, Zhiying; Xiao, Tianhe; Yasimayi, Ayijiang; Huang, Weijin; Wang, Youchun; Cao, Yunlong; Xie, Xiaoliang Sunney; Xiao, Junyu "Structures of SARS-CoV-2 B.1.351 neutralizing antibodies provide insights into cocktail design against concerning variants," Cell Research 31, 1130–1133 (2021).
3. Cao, Yunlong; Yisimayi, Ayijiang; Bai, Yali; Huang, Weijin; Li, Xiaofeng; Zhang, Zhiying; Yuan, Tianjiao; An, Ran; Wang, Jing; Xiao, Tianhe; Du, Shuo; Ma, Wenping; Song, Liyang; Li, Yongzheng; Li, Xiang; Song, Weiliang; Wu, Jiajing; Liu, Shuo; Li, Xuemei; Zhang, Yonghong; Su, Bin; Guo, Xianghua; Wei, Yangyang; Gao, Chuanping; Zhang, Nana; Zhang, Yifei; Dou, Yang; Xu, Xiaoyu; Shi, Rui; Lu, Bai; Jin, Ronghua; Ma, Yingmin; Qin, Chengfeng; Wang, Youchun; Feng, Yingmei; Xiao, Junyu; Xie, Xiaoliang Sunney "Humoral immune response to circulating SARS-CoV-2 variants elicited by inactivated and RBD-subunit vaccines," Cell Research 31(7), 732-741 (2021).
4. Tan, Longzhi; Ma, Wenping; Wu, Honggui; Sun, Wenjie; Zheng, Yinghui; Xing, Dong; Chen, Ritchie; Li, Xiang; Daley, Nicholas; Deisseroth, Karl; Xie, X. Sunney "Changes in genome architecture and transcriptional dynamics progress independently of sensory experience during post-natal brain development," Cell 184(3), 741-758 (2021).
5. Du, Shuo; Cao, Yunlong; Zhu, Qinyu; YU, Pin; Qi, Feifei; Wang, Guopeng; Du, Xiaoxia; Bao, Linlin; Deng, Wei; Zhu, Hua; Liu, Jiangning; Nie, Jianhui; Zheng, Yinghui; Liang, Haoyu; Liu, Ruixue; Gong, Shuran; Liu, Jiangning; Xu, Hua; Yisimayi, Ayijiang; Lv, Qi; Wang, Bo; He, Runsheng; Han, Yunlin; Zhao, Wenjie; Bai, Yali; Qu, Yajin; Gao, Xiang; Ji, Chenggong; Wang, Qisheng; Gao, Ning; Huang, Weijin; Wang, Youchun; Xie, X. Sunney; Su, Xiao-dong; Xiao, Junyu; Qin, Chuan "Structurally resolved SARS-CoV-2 antibody shows high efficacy in severely infected hamsters and provides a potent cocktail pairing strategy," Cell 183(4), 1013-1023.e13 (2020).
6. Cao, Yunlong; Su, Bin; Guo, Xianghua; Sun, Wenjie; Deng, Yongqiang; Bao, Linlin; Zhu, Qinyu; Zhang, Xu; Zheng, Yinghui; Geng, Chenyang; Chai, Xiaoran; He, Runsheng; Li, Xiaofeng; Lv, Qi; Zhu, Hua; Deng, Wei; Xu, Yanfeng; Wang, Yanjun; Qiao, Luxin; Tan, Yafang; Song, Liyang; Wang, Guopeng; Du, Xiaoxia; Gao, Ning; Liu, Jiangning; Xiao, Junyu; Su, Xiaodong; Du, Zongmin; Feng, Yingmei; Qin, Chuan; Qin, Chengfeng; Jin, Ronghua; Xie, X. Sunney "Potent Neutralizing Antibodies against SARS-CoV-2 Identified by High-Throughput Single-Cell Sequencing of Convalescent Patients' B Cells," Cell 182(1), 73-84.e16 (2020).