Rm. 105, Integrated Science Research Center No.2,Peking University
Professor Xiaoliang Sunney Xie is an internationally renowned scientist of biophysical chemistry. Prof. Xie received his BSc in chemistry from Peking University in 1984, and his PhD in physical chemistry in 1990 from UC San Diego. After a career at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, he became the first tenured professor at Harvard University among Chinese Scholars who went to the US since the Reform in China. As a pioneer of single molecule biophysical chemistry, coherent Raman scattering microscopy, and single cell genomics, he made major contributions to the emergence of these fields. Furthermore, Xie has made significant advances on medical applications of label-free optical imaging and single cell genomics. In particular, his inventions have been used in in vitro fertilization and have benefited hundreds of couples in China in avoiding the transmission of their monogenic diseases to their newborns. In addition, Prof. Xie has trained more than 100 graduate students and postdocs, many of whom have become professors at major universities around the world. Since 2010, he has been the Director of Biodynamic Optical Imaging Center (now renamed Biomedical Pioneering Innovation Center, BIOPIC) at Peking University, and in 2016 he became the Director of Beijing Advanced Innovation Center for Genomics (ICG). Starting July of 2018, he became the Lee Shau-kee Professor of Peking University, and Starting November of 2019, he became the Dean of Sciences at Peking University.
Prof. Xie is a member of the US National Academy of Sciences, and the US National Academy of Medicine, along with the US Academy of Arts and Sciences, and in 2017 he was elected as a foreign member of the Chinese Academy of Sciences. He has received many honors including the Albany Prize in Medicine and Biomedical Research, the American Chemical Society's Peter Debye Award and the Biophysical Society Founders' Award.
Prof. Xie’s current research interests:
Scientific: Single molecule enzymology, Single molecule biophysical chemistry, Gene expression and regulation, Epigenetics, Mechanism of cell differentiation and reprogramming, Genomic instability;
Technological: Single molecule imaging, Single cell genomics, Coherent Raman scattering microscopy, DNA sequencing;
Medical: Preimplantation genetic screening and diagnosis in in vitro fertilization, Early cancer diagnosis.
1. Tan, Longzhi; Xing, Dong; Chang, Chi-Han; Li, Heng; Xie, X. Sunney "Three-dimensional genome structures of single diploid human cells," Science 43, 924-928 (2018).
2. Chen, Chongyi; Xing, Dong; Tan, Longzhi; Li, Heng; Zhou, Guangyu; Huang, Lei; Xie, X. Sunney "Single-cell whole-genome analyses by Linear Amplification via Transposon Insertion (LIANTI)," Science 356, 189-194. (2017).
3. Zhou, Yuexin; Wang, Ping ; Tian, Feng; Gao, Ge; Huang, Lei; Wei, Wensheng; Xie, X. Sunney "Painting a specific chromosome with CRISPR/Cas9 for live-cell imaging," Cell Res DOI:10.1038/cr.2017.9 (2017).
4. Yan, Liying; Huang, Lei; Xu, Liya; Huang, Jin; Ma, Fei; Zhu, Xiaohui; Tang, Yaqiong; Liu, Mingshan; Lian, Ying; Liu, Ping; Li, Rong; Lu, Sijia; Tang, Fuchou; Qiao, Jie; Xie, X Sunney "Live births after simultaneous avoidance of monogenic diseases and chromosome abnormality by next-generation sequencing with linkage analyses," Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 112(52), 15964-15969, (2015).
5. Chong, Shasha; Chen, Chongyi; Ge, Hao; Xie X. Sunney, “Mechanism of Transcriptional Bursting in Bacteria,” Cell 158, 314-326 (2014).
6. Hou, Yu; Fan, Wei; Yan, Liying; Li, Rong; Lian, Ying; Huang, Jin; Li, Jinsen; Xu, Liya; Tang, Fuchou; Xie, X. Sunney; Qiao, Jie, "Genome Analyses of Single Human Oocytes," Cell 155, 1492-1506 (2013).
7. Kim, Sangjin; Brostr?mer, Erik, Xing, Dong; Jin, Jianshi; Chong, Shasha; Ge, Hao, Wang, Siyuan; Gu, Chan; Yang, Lijiang; Gao, Yiqin; Su, Xiao-dong; Sun, Yujie; Xie, X. Sunney, “Probing Allostery Through DNA,” Science, 339: 816-819 (2013).
8. Zong, Chenghang; Lu, Sijia; Chapman, Alec R.; Xie, X. Sunney, "Genome-Wide Detection of Single-Nucleotide and Copy-Number Variations of a Single Human Cell," Science 338: 1622-1626 (2012).
9. Taniguchi, Yuichi; Choi, Paul J.; Li, Gene-Wei; Chen, Huiyi; Babu, Mohan; Hearn, Jeremy; Emili, Andrew; Xie, X. Sunney, "Quantifying E. coli Proteome and Transcriptome with Single-Molecule Sensitivity in Single Cells," Science 329: 533-538 (2010).
10. Freudiger, Christian W.; Min, Wei; Saar, Brian G.; Lu, Sijia; Holtom, Gary R.; He, Chengwei; Tsai, Jason C.; Kang, Jing X.; Xie, X. Sunney "Label-Free Biomedical Imaging with High sensitivity by Stimulated Raman Scattering Microscopy" Science 322:1857-1860 (2008).
11. Yu, Ji; Xiao, Jie; Ren, Xiaojia; Lao, Kaiqin; Xie, X. Sunney, "Probing Gene Expression in Live Cells, One Protein Molecule at a Time," Science 311: 1600-1603 (2006).
12. English, Brian P.; Min, Wei; van Oijen, Antoine M.; Lee, Kang Taek; Luo, Guobin; Sun, Hongye; Cherayil, Binny J.; Kou, S.C.; Xie, X. Sunney "Ever-Fluctuating Single Enzyme Molecules: Michaelis-Menten Equation Revisited" Nat Chem Bio 2: 87-94 (2006).
13. Zumbusch, Andreas; Holtom, Gary R.; Xie, X. Sunney “Vibrational Microscopy Using Coherent Anti-Stokes Raman Scattering" Phys Rev Lett 82: 4142-4145 (1999).
14. Lu, H. Peter; Xun, Luying; Xie, X. Sunney, "Single-Molecule Enzymatic Dynamics," Science 282: 1877-1882 (1998).